Male birth control, Dobbs, Roe, and men's rights activists
Lenona
2023-07-19 19:00:12 UTC
Incredibly, I can't find ANYTHING from Paul Elam, the founder, in 2009, of A Voice for Men, on the subject of Dobbs. Or anything he said post-2017 on, say, Vasalgel.

(He has his own website and he recently left AVFM to found XY Crew. His last name, btw, is a Biblical name - for those who think it's fake.)

Anyway, here's a medical article from June:

https://health.usnews.com/wellness/articles/what-is-male-birth-control

One thing that caught my eye was a hint that Vasalgel COULD be available by...2024!

(In the 1990s, people were saying "it's just 5-10 years away." In the 2000s, it was: "It's just 2-5 years away." So maybe, just maybe, it IS on the horizon, this time?)

I also found seven other articles (at Google News) from this year that mentioned Vasalgel.

What I haven't seen/heard is comments from MRAs on how maybe, just maybe, this would be a good time to demand better male birth control in general, since the fall of Roe v. Wade.

Now why is that?

All they seem to be talking about is "finally, women now know how MEN feel when they don't want to be fathers but are forced into it."

Of course, aside from those men who think birth control is or should be strictly "women's work," some idiots used to claim that only feminists oppose better male birth control. If that were remotely true, feminists would also be trying to make vasectomies illegal for single men. Do they? Of course not.

And, as I said elsewhere, if anyone's making abortion an "industry," it's the voters who want to make it hard for ADULTS to get easy access to prescription birth control. Hint: That ain't Planned Parenthood. Or feminists.

From 2015 (maybe earlier) here's what "Basil Ransom" said about male birth control (this was from a Roosh V forum that's no longer extant; "Basil Ransom" always used a photo of Christopher Reeve in that role in the 1984 movie "The Bostonians"):

"You and others (MRAs) are just spouting baseless paranoia.

"Educated single white feminists don't want kids. They really don't. Anything that reduces their odds of getting kids, they are more or less behind. Many also don't like that they have to take birth control to avoid getting pregnant, due to the effort, expense and side effects incurred. Giving the chore of birth control to a man is desirable to them - insofar as they trust him. These 32 year old spinsters entrapping men with their wombs are more or less figments of your imagination. They don't get pregnant that easily to begin with.

"Who loses from male birth control? The women who are looking to get pregnant from single men. Who is currently getting pregnant outside of marriage? It's not educated white girls, or their Asian peers. It's black women and Hispanic women. It's white and Asian women without a 4 year college degree. Some of these women who had bastards would probably preferred not to have a baby, while some wanted the baby, marriage be damned. And surely some of the fathers wanted the baby too, while others were indifferent or merely irresponsible.

"There's another group that loses from male birth control, but I see them as pretty small - married women who want a kid but their husband doesn't."

(end)

He was not the only man to point out that male birth control would not make a big difference in the life of the average man - back then, at least - since the problem of scheming, lying women was grossly exaggerated, and women who didn't WANT to get pregnant generally managed not to.

(Nowadays, of course, any youngish heterosexual man living in a red state who doesn't regularly buy and use condoms will likely be in trouble soon. States that are eager to ban abortion are not known for being friendly to poor women who want female contraception.)

More on male birth control, from 2015, if you like:

http://www.advicegoddess.com/archives/2015/05/backwards-day-d.html

I haven't read all the eight articles I mentioned, so I don't know whether the researchers are finally getting the money they need - but I haven't heard that rich male celebrities are suddenly getting more generous.

My long-held theory is that MRAs who say they can't wait for better male birth control to be available don't really plan to use it - they just want hordes of OTHER men to use it and thus restore the patriarchy. Fat chance.

Anyway...I searched on Reddit today and found two threads from May:

"Men don't really want new male birth control methods"

https://www.reddit.com/r/changemyview/comments/139uv5b/cmv_men_dont_really_want_new_male_birth_control/

And:

"Why aren't men campaigning for better contraception?"

https://www.reddit.com/r/childfree/comments/13c8465/why_arent_men_campaigning_for_better_contraception/

Oddly, though, I saw no mention of Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health Organization. (But I didn't check every comment.)
Lenona
2023-07-22 20:44:37 UTC
Some more articles - they look promising, at least:

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22male+birth+control%22+dobbs&rlz=1CARWDO_enUS1067&oq=%22male+birth+control%22+dobbs&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOdIBCDY1NjJqMGoxqAIAsAIA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

And:

"How Dobbs Triggered a ‘Vasectomy Revolution’ "

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/12/02/how-dobbs-triggered-a-vasectomy-revolution-00070461
Lenona
2023-07-23 01:41:57 UTC
"14 Rules for Men Having Sex in the Post-Roe Era"

https://www.gq.com/story/post-roe-sex-etiquette
Lenona
2023-10-02 02:03:08 UTC
I stumbled on this when searching for Warren Farrell and Vasalgel. Ironically, however, Farrell does not appear in this video!

It's from 2022.

"L.R. Fox: Vasalgel, Male Birth Control | Whatever Podcast #2"

It's REALLY long - almost three hours.

Luckily, there's a nice detailed list of timestamps, so you can jump to almost any Q&A you wish.

I must say, it's quite optimistic.