How old is old enough?
Frank Apple
2008-09-20 17:36:27 UTC
Scenario: you're having some coworkers over, or planning a wedding,
or whatever - the basic idea is that you're generating the guest list
for some event you're hosting.

Someone says they want to bring their kid(s). How old does the kid
have to be before you'd agree to this?

I'd expect anyone here to reject a baby or toddler, and most to also
forbid children aged in single digits. Personally, my limit is 14
+/- two or three years, depending on the particular kid in question
(I know one 20-year-old I wouldn't let anywhere near anything of mine,
for example).

Just curious.
Frank Apple
Caelin
2008-09-20 17:46:39 UTC
Post by Frank Apple
Scenario: you're having some coworkers over, or planning a wedding,
or whatever - the basic idea is that you're generating the guest list
for some event you're hosting.
Someone says they want to bring their kid(s). �How old does the kid
have to be before you'd agree to this?
I'd expect anyone here to reject a baby or toddler, and most to also
forbid children aged in single digits. �Personally, my limit is 14
+/- two or three years, depending on the particular kid in question
(I know one 20-year-old I wouldn't let anywhere near anything of mine,
for example).
Just curious.
--
Frank Apple
Personally i don't want somebody's sniveling yard apes ruining my
furniture and disrupting my home. How old is old enough? When they can
act like humans and not apes. When they can wipe their own asses and
not shit their pants and stink up my living room. My husband and I
slightly disagree on this issue but I have 1/2 the money and ALL the
pussy. Who do you think wins?
Gregory Morrow
2008-09-21 08:31:57 UTC
Post by Frank Apple
[...]
---------------------

GM replies:

Your DH sounds like an *excellent* candidate for eventual homosexuality, Oh
Warrior Woman...

:-)
--
Best
Greg

" I find Greg Morrow lowbrow, witless, and obnoxious. For him to claim that
we are some
kind of comedy team turns my stomach."
- "cybercat" to me on rec.food.cooking
Kenny McCormack
35.
Debby Hanoka
2008-09-20 20:18:30 UTC
Someone says they want to bring their kid(s).  How old does the kid
have to be before you'd agree to this?
"I'm sorry, but this get-together is for adults only. We'll miss
you!"

Debby Hanoka
dhanoka at gmail dot com
Frank Apple
2008-09-20 20:32:55 UTC
Post by Debby Hanoka
Someone says they want to bring their kid(s). ?How old does the kid
have to be before you'd agree to this?
"I'm sorry, but this get-together is for adults only. We'll miss
you!"
Okay, but really: at some point children become young adults, and
at some point young adults acheive their majority.

Maybe I didn't word the question properly. It wasn't "do you allow
children to attend;" it was more "at what age do you consider them
no longer to be children?"

(And, again, I'm just curious. I'm not trying to make some sort of
point here.)
Frank Apple
Tom C
2008-09-21 01:48:05 UTC
Post by Frank Apple
Maybe I didn't word the question properly. It wasn't "do you allow
children to attend;" it was more "at what age do you consider them
no longer to be children?"
completed a degree and are employed or have been employed more than 2 years
and age 22.
Geoff Miller
2008-09-22 15:39:51 UTC
Post by Frank Apple
Okay, but really: at some point children become young
adults, and at some point young adults acheive their
majority.
They aren't adults, young or otherwise, *until* they
achieve their majority. That's what "achieving their
majority" means.

Geoff

--
"I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a
'community organizer,' except that you have
actual responsibilities." -- Sarah Palin
Debby Hanoka
2008-09-23 17:13:13 UTC
Post by Frank Apple
Someone says they want to bring their kid(s). ?How old does the kid
have to be before you'd agree to this?
"I'm sorry, but this get-together is for adults only.  We'll miss
you!"
Okay, but really: at some point children become young adults, and
at some point young adults acheive their majority.
Maybe I didn't word the question properly.  It wasn't "do you allow
children to attend;" it was more "at what age do you consider them
no longer to be children?"
(And, again, I'm just curious.  I'm not trying to make some sort of
point here.)
In rethinking my answer to your original question, let me say this:

When I was growing up, my "handlers" (i.e., PNB's) wouldn't have
dreamed of taking my sister and me along to an adults only gathering.
Mind you, they did go out quite often, especially during Christmas/New
Years. I'd always ask if I could come, and would always be told "no"
because I wasn't specifically invited. The ONLY exception (and I mean
ONE exception) was when my parents' best friends would host a barbecue
(or several) during the summer. They specifically invited my sister
and me because we had a strong history of being well-behaved.

Debby Hanoka
dhanoka at gmail dot com
Geoff Miller
2008-09-23 20:02:09 UTC
The ONLY exception (and I mean ONE exception) was when my
parents' best friends would host a barbecue (or several)
during the summer.
Family BBQs were common when I was a kid in the Sixties
and Seventies. My father and his friends were all young
engineers at Lockheed, and like most everyone else, they
were doing the postwar suburban family thing. Most of
their wives were stay-at-home-moms (formerly known as
"housewives"; see my earlier post about changing termin-
ology), especially early on, and so that gave them a
welcome chance to get out and socialize.

But there were still quite a few adults-only gatherings,
some of them also at people's homes. It was understood
that some occasions just weren't for kids, and after
saying my hellos and hanging around with the big people
for a bit, I'd go play in my room, or watch TV in the
family room -- usually by choice, and without being told.

Geoff

Frank Apple
2008-09-25 12:52:37 UTC
Post by Debby Hanoka
When I was growing up, my "handlers" (i.e., PNB's) wouldn't have
dreamed of taking my sister and me along to an adults only gathering.
Mind you, they did go out quite often, especially during Christmas/New
Years. I'd always ask if I could come, and would always be told "no"
because I wasn't specifically invited. The ONLY exception (and I mean
ONE exception) was when my parents' best friends would host a barbecue
(or several) during the summer. They specifically invited my sister
and me because we had a strong history of being well-behaved.
Aha. So what you're saying, then, is that parents should have the
manners not to bring along uninvited guests. I can go with that.

The problem is that they simply don't have those manners. The
last time a child was in my house, its father had brought it along
- without asking - when he came to pick up his dogs (which I'd been
taking care of). Said child wandered all over my house and eventually
let MY dog out the front door! (The dog was collected and returned to
the house in short order, fortunately.)

Ever since then I've been careful about who comes in my house. In
general, though, I don't have much of a problem with people who have
at least a couple of double-digit years behind them, and who can be
controlled.
Frank Apple
meb
2008-09-20 21:28:25 UTC
Post by Frank Apple
Scenario: you're having some coworkers over, or planning a wedding,
or whatever - the basic idea is that you're generating the guest list
for some event you're hosting.
Someone says they want to bring their kid(s). How old does the kid
have to be before you'd agree to this?
I'd expect anyone here to reject a baby or toddler, and most to also
forbid children aged in single digits. Personally, my limit is 14
+/- two or three years, depending on the particular kid in question
(I know one 20-year-old I wouldn't let anywhere near anything of mine,
for example).
Just curious.
Interesting question. DH & I have hardly ever invited anyone over to our
current abode, because it took a lot of arguing, counseling & time to
recover from the mess left behind by letting one of DH's D&D (*)
acquaintances stay over on a long-term basis. All that from dealing with
an (alleged) adult.

As for weddings, DH & I eloped. That way we did not have to invite any
in-laws. We also do not attend (or get invited to) many weddings,
because we aren't tolerant of anyone's wedding BS.

We have started attending get-togethers with our undergrad friends
again. (The evil houseguest from heck did a number on a lot of
relationships, not just DH & I. That's sociopathy for ya'!) I find that
at these geekish get-togethers, if the parent was a friend at undergrad
school, I can tolerate their k1d once they've hit the age of 12 or
older. Probably the age of 12 works because they are capable of reading
something of interest or are getting into geek-type hobbies.

So, we are debating about starting to host parties again. It's likely
that setting a 12-or-older age limit will be trivial compared to
excluding folks who were or are still friends of the D&D sociopath (*).
It's dealing with the latter folks that is scaring us off of the idea.

-Mb
Gregory Morrow
2008-09-21 08:25:46 UTC
Post by meb
Post by Frank Apple
[...]
The fact that you let a puke like that toy with your life to such an extent
doesn't make you look real "stable"...in fact I'd hope that any responsible
parent would not allow their kids (of any age) into your abode, you're too
messed up.
--
Best
Greg
Caelin
2008-09-21 17:21:02 UTC
Post by Gregory Morrow
Post by meb
Post by Frank Apple
[...]
Who pissed in your Wheaties this morning Greg? I cannot understand why
people want to be around bawling yard apes. They stink, they are rude,
they are nothing but a financial drain that you can never get rid of.
I certainly do not want them in my home at any time.
Dori
2008-09-21 21:18:21 UTC
Post by Caelin
Who pissed in your Wheaties this morning Greg? I cannot understand why
people want to be around bawling yard apes. They stink, they are rude,
they are nothing but a financial drain that you can never get rid of.
I certainly do not want them in my home at any time.
Yet again, that jerk morphed and I had to clutter up my plonk file
with another address.

Back to the original subject ... thanks to the way some parents raise
their kids, I'll never want to be around the wretches - no matter
their age.

Three years ago, my sister insisted on bringing her 13-year-old
daughter to what was supposed to be a reunion among my siblings and I
at a resort 1000 miles from where I lived. She was such an obnoxious
brat I ended up spending 1/2 the time off doing stuff by myself. This
past spring I visited my sister and found the girl even more
self-absorbed and spoiled. My sister finally noticed a glare I had
directed at her daughter and airily remarked "ohhh, she's just a
teenager." Me: "and you can *live* with that kind of behavior? I'd end
up slamming the kid against the wall." Mygawd. This girl goes beyond
the usual teenage angst and whininess. She expects her mother to wait
on her hand and foot, throws tantrums at rules, has screaming fits
whenever someone crosses her, and just generally expects the world to
revolve around her. Seeing the way her parents coddled those bad
qualities, I don't expect they'll magically *poof* once she reaches
18; in fact she'll probably get worse. That's one kid I'll *never*
want to be around.
2008-09-22 15:57:53 UTC
Post by Dori
Yet again, that jerk morphed and I had to clutter up my plonk file
with another address.
Wouldn't it be nice if the plonkers stayed plonked?

TMcLone
meb
2008-09-21 21:53:54 UTC
Post by Caelin
Who pissed in your Wheaties this morning Greg?
He's upset that someone criticized his chosen LifeStyle (TM) of playing
D&D and living in his ma's basement.
-Mb
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2008-09-20 21:48:44 UTC
Post by Frank Apple
Scenario: you're having some coworkers over, or planning a
wedding, or whatever - the basic idea is that you're generating
the guest list for some event you're hosting.
Someone says they want to bring their kid(s). How old does the
kid have to be before you'd agree to this?
Depends on the kid. I know 40 year olds I wouldn't invite to a party
because they're too immature. I've known 5 year olds who wouldn't be
a problem. The former are more common than the latter.
--
Terry Austin

"There's no law west of the internet."
- Nick Stump

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.
Ryka
2008-09-20 22:50:57 UTC
Post by Frank Apple
Scenario: you're having some coworkers over, or planning a wedding,
or whatever - the basic idea is that you're generating the guest list
for some event you're hosting.
Someone says they want to bring their kid(s). How old does the kid
have to be before you'd agree to this?
I'd expect anyone here to reject a baby or toddler, and most to also
forbid children aged in single digits. Personally, my limit is 14
+/- two or three years, depending on the particular kid in question
(I know one 20-year-old I wouldn't let anywhere near anything of mine,
for example).
Just curious.
--
Frank Apple
I think it totally depends on the occasion - a backyard barbeque may include
older (14+) children if there's a pool, for example. A weeding - depends on
whether or not it is formal and the time of the wedding - an evening
candlelight service with a late reception is no place for children (those
under 14, let's say). If the party is not at one's home, there's another set
of rules, I guess, but, if it's at my home, I do not want children under 14
if it's an evening-nighttime occasion. Relatives' Thanksgiving I always
avoid because of the kids of all ages being catered to. Depends on the kids.
Allyson
2008-09-22 18:38:13 UTC
Someone says they want to bring their kid(s).  How old does the kid
have to be before you'd agree to this?
I'd expect anyone here to reject a baby or toddler, and most to also
forbid children aged in single digits.  Personally, my limit is 14
+/- two or three years, depending on the particular kid in question
(I know one 20-year-old I wouldn't let anywhere near anything of mine,
for example).
For our wedding, my husband and I put the limit at 16. At that point,
I had two 16-year-old cousins, and two toddler cousins (okay, the
toddlers were my cousins kids, so second cousins or something).
Anyhoo, the 16-year-olds were definitely mature enough to attend. I
still consider them "children," but they're children that are close to
being adults, so it wasn't an issue. But the toddlers were simply not
allowed. Fortunately, their mother was cool with it. I think because
her first child had started shrieking 30 seconds into her sister's
wedding a few years before. So yeah, I consider myself lucky that we
have a low rate of young'uns at this point and time, and also that
their mother understood that young kids just don't belong everywhere.
SkyEyes
2008-09-23 00:06:46 UTC
Post by Frank Apple
Scenario: you're having some coworkers over, or planning a wedding,
or whatever - the basic idea is that you're generating the guest list
for some event you're hosting.
Someone says they want to bring their kid(s).  How old does the kid
have to be before you'd agree to this?
I'd expect anyone here to reject a baby or toddler, and most to also
forbid children aged in single digits.  Personally, my limit is 14
+/- two or three years, depending on the particular kid in question
(I know one 20-year-old I wouldn't let anywhere near anything of mine,
for example).
Just curious.
When I got married the first time and had a big wedding, we stipulated
"For the over-18 crowd only, please" on the invitations. It didn't
help. Several sets of my parents' friends were big-time breeders and
they *all* brought their spawn. Pretty much ruined my reception,
sticking their nasty little fingers into the wedding cake and throwing
dinner mints at each other.

Brenda Nelson, A.A.#34
skyeyes nine at cox dot net
Geoff Miller
2008-09-23 02:15:30 UTC
Post by SkyEyes
When I got married the first time and had a big wedding,
we stipulated "For the over-18 crowd only, please" on the
invitations. It didn't help.
It isn't just breeders.

There's an annual unpublicized, word-of-mouth event in my
area called the Wild Game Feed. I haven't been in maybe
ten years so I forget who puts it on; I seem to recall
that it's the Lion's Club or some other community-service
organization of that ilk.

Anyway, this is strictly a stag affair, a chance for the
boys to have an evening with the boys that's devoted to
drinking, carousing, uninhibited farting and scratching
of testicles, the smoking of cigars for those so inclined,
and primarily, the eating of exotic animal flesh that's
grilled and served by volunteers. It's held in the group
picnic area of the Blackberry Farm, a private park in
Cupertino -- the town which some may recognize as the
home of Apple Computer.

I went to this thing two or three times. On one occasion,
some guy ignored the rules and brought his wife or girl-
friend. What the hell? What part of "men only" was he
unclear on? This event is by its very nature intended
for males. It's sort of like that event up north in the
redwoods, only for hoi polloi instead of movers and
shakers.

Now, I enjoy female companionship as much as the next
red-blooded American male does, so neither sexism nor
male chauvinism entered into it. A convocation of the
He-Men's Woman-Hating Club or Al Bundy's "No Ma'am,"
this was not. But goddammit, sometimes the guys want
to hang with the guys, just as sometimes the girls want
to hang with the girls. There's not a thing wrong with
that. Some women seem to believe that any and all men-
only cliques and occasions must be made co-ed, for no
more substantial reason than that they exist in that
form. Well, I beg to differ.

You gals don't crash our Wild Game Feed, and we won't
crash your wedding and baby showers. Deal? Then we'll
get back together and make up for lost time by screwing
like crazed weasels. We'll make it up to you. Trust us.

This guy had the remaining 364 days of the year to enjoy
the company of his spooge receptacle. Could he not be
apart from her for one goddam evening? Can we evil,
oppressing, warmongering Penis People not be among only
others of our kind, just that once? Evidently not.

The couple was ostracized. Not by means of any evident
whispering campaign, but just spontaneously. This group
picnic area consists of long rows of wooden tables pushed
together end to end in a sparse grove of trees. People
sat elbow to elbow, but there was an invisible bubble
around these two. I suspect that the "men only" message
was promulgated with renewed vigor in subsequent years.

Geoff

DevilsPGD
2008-09-23 06:14:39 UTC
Post by Geoff Miller
But goddammit, sometimes the guys want
to hang with the guys, just as sometimes the girls want
to hang with the girls. There's not a thing wrong with
that. Some women seem to believe that any and all men-
only cliques and occasions must be made co-ed, for no
more substantial reason than that they exist in that
form. Well, I beg to differ.
Next time you bump into one of those women, try following her into a
public washroom -- After all, if an all-male occasion isn't acceptable,
why should an all-female occasion?
Geoff Miller
2008-09-23 20:12:55 UTC
Post by DevilsPGD
Next time you bump into one of those women, try following
her into a public washroom -- After all, if an all-male
occasion isn't acceptable, why should an all-female occasion?
Can you imagine the outcry? The outraged screams, the calling
of the police, the having to register as a sex offendor?

I note that in liberal milieus it's become acceptable (to
women, if not to men) for women to use men's restrooms when
the ladies' room has a long line outside of it. I've seen
this during concerts at Shoreline Amphitheater, and most
recently, at Bookshop Santa Cruz on a summer weekend after-
noon when there were a lot of tourists in town.

Maybe this trend will reverse itself after a few of these
assertive "womyn" have been shoved into the handicapped
stall and Dealt With...

Geoff

DevilsPGD
2008-09-23 20:40:22 UTC
Post by Geoff Miller
Maybe this trend will reverse itself after a few of these
assertive "womyn" have been shoved into the handicapped
stall and Dealt With...
And now we know, you're the male version of elizabeth. 'nuff said.

(Sorry for all the noise to the regulars while I figured this one out,
I'm reasonably new here)
Geoff Miller
2008-09-23 23:40:42 UTC

Post by DevilsPGD
And now we know, you're the male version of elizabeth.
'nuff said.
Hey, lighten up. I didn't say I condoned it. I merely
speculated on coming att^H^H^Hevents.
Post by DevilsPGD
(Sorry for all the noise to the regulars while I figured
this one out, I'm reasonably new here)
If that's all it took, you were more than a little inclined
toward that interpretation, anyway. All I did with that
post was knock you over with the proverbial feather.

Chessucat is right: this newsgroup is a hoot.

Geoff

Pirate Queen
2008-09-23 15:25:05 UTC
It isn't just breeders.
Anyway, this is strictly a stag affair, a chance for the
boys to have an evening with the boys that's devoted to
drinking, carousing, uninhibited farting and scratching
of testicles, the smoking of cigars for those so inclined,
and primarily, the eating of exotic animal flesh that's
grilled and served by volunteers.  It's held in the group
picnic area of the Blackberry Farm, a private park in
Cupertino -- the town which some may recognize as the
home of Apple Computer.
I went to this thing two or three times.  On one occasion,
some guy ignored the rules and brought his wife or girl-
friend.  What the hell?  What part of "men only" was he
unclear on?  This event is by its very nature intended
for males.  It's sort of like that event up north in the
redwoods, only for hoi polloi instead of movers and
shakers.
Just curious: did any of the men bring their boys to this shindig? If
so, did these boys run around causing trouble? I'm guessing that they
didn't - because children are much, much more likely to behave around
men than women. A company of men is not likely to put up with baby-
boy shenanagins.

I get annoyed when I'm hanging out with musicians who think that their
little brat should be allowed to participate in jam sessions. There's
no way that I'm gonna let some unknown child pick up ANY of my
instruments to 'play' along. I don't like it when adult non-musician
partners feel free to paw at our equipment, either. I don't care how
many times you've participated at some karoake party, chum, you canNOT
have my mic.

T.
Geoff Miller
2008-09-23 19:42:29 UTC
Post by Pirate Queen
Just curious: did any of the men bring their boys to
this shindig?
I don't think so. If any did, there were so few of them
that I don't remember their being there. The event was
generally understood to be adults-only as well as men-only.
Post by Pirate Queen
A company of men is not likely to put up with baby-boy
shenanagins.
Hence the expression "Just wait 'till your *father* gets home!"

When I was a kid, at least, going someplace with Daddy and his
friends was seen as a special privilege, so kids tended to be
on their best behavior automatically, even apart from any
warnings ahead of time that no BS would be tolerated. Being
dragged around by Mommy on her bore-assed errands and shopping
trips was routine, and therefore no big deal.

Geoff

DevilsPGD
2008-09-23 06:14:38 UTC
In message
Post by SkyEyes
When I got married the first time and had a big wedding, we stipulated
"For the over-18 crowd only, please" on the invitations. It didn't
help. Several sets of my parents' friends were big-time breeders and
they *all* brought their spawn. Pretty much ruined my reception,
sticking their nasty little fingers into the wedding cake and throwing
dinner mints at each other.
Live and learn I suppose -- Next time (should such an event occur), I'd
suggest a bouncer. Or a stripper.
Frank Apple
2008-09-25 13:41:56 UTC
Post by DevilsPGD
In message
Post by SkyEyes
When I got married the first time and had a big wedding, we stipulated
"For the over-18 crowd only, please" on the invitations. It didn't
help. Several sets of my parents' friends were big-time breeders and
they *all* brought their spawn. Pretty much ruined my reception,
sticking their nasty little fingers into the wedding cake and throwing
dinner mints at each other.
Live and learn I suppose -- Next time (should such an event occur), I'd
suggest a bouncer. Or a stripper.
Why not both?

The last time I was a guest at a wedding, one little boy refused
to close the door while using the bathroom. DIS-gusting.

(Plus, all the food was hippie chow.)
Frank Apple
Ghostintheshell
2008-09-25 15:54:21 UTC
Frank Apple <***@mailinator.com> wrote the following in
alt.support.childfree on Thu, 25 Sep 2008 13:41:56 GMT
Post by Frank Apple
(Plus, all the food was hippie chow.)
Must've been an impressive collection of granola.
--
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than
sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Puppet_Sock
2008-09-27 19:19:15 UTC
On Sep 20, 11:36 am, Frank Apple <***@mailinator.com> wrote:
[snips]
Someone says they want to bring their kid(s).  How old does the kid
have to be before you'd agree to this?
My parties involve alchohol. Nobody under age
for drinking allowed. Period, full stop, this is not
open for discussion or argument. Sorry if you
mistook this as something negotiable.
Socks
Anastasia Schipper
2023-01-05 14:52:14 UTC
Post by Frank Apple
Scenario: you're having some coworkers over, or planning a wedding,
or whatever - the basic idea is that you're generating the guest list
for some event you're hosting.
Someone says they want to bring their kid(s). How old does the kid
have to be before you'd agree to this?
I'd expect anyone here to reject a baby or toddler, and most to also
forbid children aged in single digits. Personally, my limit is 14
+/- two or three years, depending on the particular kid in question
(I know one 20-year-old I wouldn't let anywhere near anything of mine,
for example).
Just curious.
--
Frank Apple
If I had to plan a wedding, I’d ban any child under the age of 6. Toddlers and babies will just get restless and disruptive, and preschoolers aren’t much better, either. Older kids and teens are tolerable, just as long as they don’t act like dicks. What’s that? Can’t afford a sitter? Tough luck, then. Maybe wait to attend a wedding when your little loinfruit are old enough to express their emotions without screaming like a banshee.